Saturday, June 15, 2013

Clay Face





So my sweetheart got some of this air dry crayola clay for the kids and asked me if I wanted to show the kids anything with it. Now, she knows I don't sculpt but I usually handle the art stuff with the kids. Anyway, we played around with it for a bit and I got this itch so I got some wire, asked the kids what they wanted to sculpt and made these armatures like I've seen guys make online. I wish I'd taken pictures but I forgot. Then, I padded the wire out with some tin foil in spots and then set the kids loose with the clay. My youngest did the pony and because she's so little I touched a few things on there but now I wish I hadn't because of how well she did. She kept telling my oldest that hers didn't look real enough where as my oldest would say, "I'm making a unicorn and those aren't real to begin with!" Those two statements are fairly symbolic of their personalities.

Anyway, I had real fun playing with this stuff, although the medium was a bit of a struggle for various reasons. It started to dry on me as I was working for instance so parts were just too dry to mold by the time I got to them. Maybe if I had a small fine spray bottle handy that would help? Clay is exciting though! Mentally it felt a lot like sketching in my sketchbook, starting with wire, creating a pose, wondering where this would go, squishing on clay and making decisions on the fly. I love creation adventures like that, where things aren't planned. Sometimes it ends in disaster as any adventure can but the thrill of the journey is worth it. Oh, and this stuff cracks a few days later. If not for the wire skeleton underneath they'd be in pieces.

Anyway, another of my concept crew, Patrick Dailey put up his inspiring work:
http://www.pangolinstar.com/index.html