Saturday, August 11, 2012

ImagineFX


Here's a small instructional I did for the last issue of ImagineFX on heads. I love 'character'. The single most important thing in regards to this is to admire character first and then to observe and study it. If you admire an ideal you'll handicap yourself most likely. But, to each their own. The most interesting part of doing this was watching the playback on the main head image in the video file. I've never recorded myself and it was weird having watched so many painting videos to see one play in front of me that was the fruit of my own actions. It felt like somebody else was drawing it. Weird.

Also, I want to point out to any of you that read it that the editors changed my words in small ways throughout the article. I didn't love the changes but one in particular I believe makes my intentions sound different than what they are. In the ear/nose section I say something like 'because ears and noses are less pleasant features', and that is not what I said. In fact I believe that if you have that mindset, that noses and ears are less pleasant you'll have a hard time using them to your advantage for character. You'll probably consistently make them small and idyllic and that's just no fun. Remember, variety is the spice of life. At least God thought so, and personally I heartily agree!

And, in keeping with sending my readers off to greener pastures check this blog out!
http://filboidstudge.blogspot.com/2011/06/life-drawing-41-gibson-fathers-day.html

4 comments:

Alastair Mclauchlan said...

Really enjoying the tutorial Hethe. You've got bags of personality in there, as with all your characters. Great stuff!

Charles Eubanks said...

Hey Hethe! I meant to tell you, as soon as I saw the tiny, blurry thumbnails of your article in the ImagineFX preview, I totally recognized your artwork! Great article, BTW. Keep up the awesome work!

Hethe Srodawa said...

Thanks guys! I hope you are both well.

Mike Bear said...

Awesome, Hethe. Congrats! I can't imagine a better artist suited for the subject.