Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sketchbook 01







Some friends and I went up to Burbank two and a have weeks ago for the CTN Animation Expo and I left feeling like my life had been changed. That sounds a bit heavy and I don't mean like finding Jesus sort of life changing but it was artistically a big bundle of encouragement, inspiration, clarity, awakening ... I really felt at home there. The animation crowd was so happy and light spirited compared to the video game arts crowd I've been immersed in for the last 10 years. I dug it. And the level of artistic skill was through the roof! Anyway, my immediate goal that I started on as soon as I got home was to really learn how to draw. So I've been drawing like there's no tomorrow. I started a sketchbook at the expo and finished it tonight so here's a few of the pages from it. I'll start a new one tomorrow. The milestone I set for myself was six months from the expo. So, I'm going to cram as much study and practice as I can into my head in the next six months and see where I land. I'll set a new goal after that. I'm drawing from photos and life a lot but forcing myself to caricature what I'm seeing, trying to focus on personality and story. I haven't had so much fun at art in over a year!

6 comments:

Scott Daly said...

I'm excited to see where this takes you. I hope you'll continue sharing the process!

Brian Miller said...

Lookin good b! Love the top image...

Jose Ramos said...

nice concept dude!

Alina Chau said...

THese sketchbook pages are awesome!

Mike Bear said...

I likes what I'm readin'. Wish I could have joined you guys!

Daniele(Danka)Montella said...

Great and funny scketches!!!