Wednesday, August 27, 2008

River of Tears


As a young boy I lived far from here at the base of a very large mountain. From the peaks of the mountain a river flowed down into our valley. A saltwater river. The elders said that at the top of the mountain was a tower and in it sat a princess who wept day and night, waiting for her prince to come rescue her. Until that happens her tears will flow down the mountain and through our valley.

Ya Tom, the texture is a bit gimmicky. For those that asked it's just the stupid texturizer filter with some pattern loaded in. I bet there's a way to make it look more natural ...

7 comments:

Jeremy Elder said...

Maybe lower the opacity of the texture, or combine multiple textures? I remember some Gnomon disk where the artist was explaining the use of textures in digital art, and he always fooled with it a bit - masking parts out, changing opacity, etc. Technically speaking you shouldn't really be able to see the texture in a uniform way across the lights and darks, should you?

By the way, I hadn't heard of art rage - can it really do stuff better than photoshop? It seems to cheap...

Tom Scholes said...

Hahaha, I didn't say it was gimmicky. I think it's a great thing to do. I just think that if you made it a little less obvious by painting over it as well as under it that it could be even better. Akin to thick areas of paint where you don't see the canvas and thin washes where you do... the same sort of applies with pencil. I've gotten more into giving suggestions than I'm comfortable with but I think it all relates to what I see as the biggest deficiency in digital, it's too clean and too predictable.

Anyhow, phew. Love the warmth of the background and the concept/story behind it.

Brian Miller said...

All I gotta say is if I were a prince and someone told me some chick's in a tower crying non stop - I'd let her rot there.

Carlos Ranna said...

LOL Brian Miller!

Well, i love the brushwork and the colors.

Goro said...

This is a great one!
Love the mood!

Emrah ELMASLI said...

Looks great man, I like the desaturated, pastel colors. Great story as well :)

Jose Darias said...

Impressive , i like the light!

keep on touch!