Friday, August 15, 2008

Enchanted: The Story of How We Met

Final
Color Block-In
Value Block-In

So I wrapped this piece up as you can see. Alas, yet again my artwork failed to live up to the hopes I had in the beginning. However, this piece went much smoother and faster and is in my estimation a much better piece technically than my last so I'm excited to have finished it and excited to move on. I'm going to submit this and the last illustration (the kids on the tank) to Spectrum this year and hope they make it in. We'll see. They take submissions around December I think. So anyway, this piece is about and inspired by my wife and the word that best describes how I feel about her: Enchanted. I'm going to tell my children when they're older that this is how their mother and I met and that they come from royal fairy blood. So that's it for finished stand-alone illustrations for a while. I'm moving back to my comic and the occasional sketches so stay posted. Next comic con I'll have a publication with my comic and some sketches and paintings in it thanks to the magic of internet publishing. I'm gonna try a few venues out. Lulu sounds promising. I'll also be selling some prints. Ok, until the next post!

12 comments:

Dominus said...

wow!
superb!

I hope one day you'll create a video tutorial or something, to see the magic in action :)

Brian Miller said...

Lookin good b! I love the subtle details in the folds of the clothing she's wearing - real nice delicate touch. And your armor / costume design are awesome as always.

Keep em comin!

Jeremy Elder said...

Su-weet. If this is inspired by your wife, does that mean you're the one with the dastardly mustache?

I am curious to know how this did not live up to your expectations. How did you envision it turning out?

I think that it has a wonderful feel, and I especially like the boa and butterfly "jewelry."

As always, I am looking forward to your future posts.

Miwa and Mikael said...

I'm loving it. This is really sweet. Looking at your work really brighten up the day.

Alexander said...

really nice..... I like more the colors...

Hethe Srodawa said...

Thanks! It's hard to describe how this didn't quite live up to my expectations ... I think it's quite obvious when you look at a Cornwell, Leyendecker or even James Jean. It's just not as cool, not as sophisticated. I feel that I've had some payoff in my drawing ability from the years of practice but my painting and illustrating chops are weak.

Joshua James said...

GReat new Stuff!

abhishek singh said...

stunning work ..n so glad to hav discovered ur blog ....been an amazin trip scrollin through
:)
beautiful work

Ryan Hanratty said...

Its gorgeous Hethe! Definitely a top piece of late, and I'm a huge fan of the story that comes with it as well.

Andrew Bosley said...

You do awesome stuff, Hethe! I'm glad that I found your site. Keep it up!

Andrew

Patinoart said...

Keeping it loose and keeping it tight. You just made me reconsider going out and getting Painter when you did everything I wanted to see in Photoshop. I would really like to know a little more about how you got those textures. There are some "accidents" in there you usually don't see in digital work. Excellent. Please check me out...

http://patinoart.blogspot.com
http://www.juanpatino.net

Rustyknight said...

I can't tell you how much I love to visit your site! Especially these break downs in how you've brought a piece to the finished render. Love it! Keep up the fabulous work!