Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Away we go ...

So one of my bosses (an amazing artist by the name of David Hong) and I talked about doing an illustration challenge with each other where we would both create an illustration from the same theme. The theme we decided on was 'Away we go'. Another two or so of our coworkers (Ted Bradshaw and Jason Castagna) and one of my best friends forever from my school days Brian Miller joined up too. So anyway, here's my progress so far:



First step, I listened to some music to get inspiration, just letting the theme run through my head as I listened and viola, an image popped into my head. When I went to draw it later it didn't come out quite like I had originally envisioned. I spent time experimenting and redrawing things, letting the illustration form organically.


The next night I took a look at where it was and now that I had my basic image I tackled composition and continued to work on the characters. When I got this I was pretty pleased with the flow of the image and was ready to flesh out the characters next time I sat down to it.


So in between I ran it by my wife and she looked at it for a sec and then was like, "what if they were kids? Right now it's boring to me." I mulled it over and decided to go with it. As I worked this out the story of Oliver Twist popped into my head and I decided to keep the top guy a grownup and call him Fagin and the kids are his gang of hooligans. I call the piece now 'Fagin's Lot'. Their flag is an homage to Lord of the Flies. While I liked the story it now had I felt that I'd broken the composition with the new figures. Oh well, next time I'd work on that.


So last night I tackled fixing the composition and bringing more character into it. This is where it stands as of now. I've got to tweak the position of things still and redraw the flag. The pig emblem will be back later. I'll keep the blog updated with progress.

3 comments:

Brian McStick Figure said...

GOOODNIGHT!!!

This is gonna be ridiculous b! What a cool concept - and that flag is doing magic for the composition. Stinking amazing.

Dangit . . . can you change my name in your post to an alias? Maybe something like "Brian McStick Figure" that way it sets people's expectations correctly?

/weep

Jeremy Elder said...

Brian is too humble sometimes isn't he?

Joshua James said...

Your Nintendo DS Colors sketches are freaking awesome! argg I need that program!