Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Something in the closet ...


This weeks creative challenge theme at work was monsters. I was sick this week and only had time for a page of sketches, all of it unreferenced. I say unreferenced because I didn't use reference and that my friends makes me very happy. One step closer to artistic freedom. I guess that's a quirk of mine.

So I saw Barnyard and loved it. While not an artistic achievement visually it was still a great movie. Heartfelt story, great message, hilarious characters and awesome music. Just a good comedy all around. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves quirky characters, comedy and stories of redemption.

On another note I got DuckTales, Talespin and Gummi Bears DVD collections for my birthday. Those cartoons are just as awesome as when I watched them as a kid!! I can't believe how incredible they are. I read recently that during the late eighties the animation industry was in a slump so feature film quality animators and artists were working on TV cartoons, hence the reason that these cartoons look so good. When I IMDB'd some of my favorite animation artists their credits included the expected Little Mermaid, Aladdin etc but also DuckTales. How awesome is that? They shaped me in so many ways and it is so cool that they won't be lost in my childhood anymore. More than that, now I can raise my kids on the same sweet stuff that inspired the artist I am today. Good times, good times.

10 comments:

Benjamin said...

Nice stuff man as usual! Its funny that you got those dvds for your birthday. I used to love Talespin , ducktales, darkwing duck ect.. I grew up on those as well. An other coincidence is that my art director here worked on all of these cartoons back in the day. Either as somekind of colour stylist, artdirector or background painter. Thanks for the comments on my blog to. Ive been SOOOO very busy with life these days i dont have much time to do any personal work. I hope that changes soon.

cheers

frak said...

Your stuff is beautiful!
And you work environment sounds very inspiring.
I don't know if you remember me but I am a friend (now roommate) of Mr. Ryan Agodoni. I stumbled across your blog, and I must say I look forward to seeing it progress.

Frak
p.s. You guys hiring? :3

Ryan said...

The insect lookin' thing with the bubbles is an interesting concept, at least as far as I interpret it. Is it a defense mechanism, or a way to carry young, or layin' eggs, or a home being built, or what?

Hethe Srodawa said...

Who knows what it is. I guess I should know if anybody would but my personal sketches unless they're for a story I'm doing are just visual explorations and excercises. So it can be whatever you want. To me it's just interesting shape and material contrasts.

Ryan said...

Word.

Tikigeo said...

These are awesome Hethe. I love seeing your excercises. Even theloosest warm up stuff always looks just right. Woot!

Tikigeo said...

These are awesome Hethe. I love seeing your excercises. Even theloosest warm up stuff always looks just right. Woot!

Tikigeo said...

sorry that was my evil twin, mocking me.

Anonymous said...

my name is wilson hello!
i'm from brazil! did u use photoshop or painter on it?

Hethe Srodawa said...

I used Photoshop Wilson.